Newest Chapters

      The Sorceress' Revolt    Dororo:The Child Wants to Live    Fire Hunter 1: Fire in Spring    Shijukara (Starting at 40)

Guardian of the Dream - Part 3 Chapter 4 - Chagum's Plan

Guardian of the Dream

(Book 3 of the Guardian of the Spirit Series)

Author: Uehashi Nahoko
Translator: Ainikki the Archivist
 

 Part 2 - The Flower's Path

Chapter 4 - Chagum's Plan

    New Yogo’s imperial palace was a trapezoidal structure sprawling from east to west, with the rear wall facing north. At its center was the Mikado's Path: a place that was off-limits to all save those whom the Mikado himself had selected.

    At the southernmost point, the part closest to the city, there was a gigantic receiving space reserved for audiences between nobles and the Mikado. To the north were the Mikado's private chambers, accessible only by those closest to the Mikado such as members of the imperial family and the Star Readers.

    At present, there were three people in the main room of the Mikado's private quarters. The polished, plain wooden floor was covered by a pure white rug woven of silk of the finest quality. 

    The Mikado himself was sunk deeply into the cushions of a lacquered throne that was inlaid with mother-of-pearl. Crown Prince Chagum faced him, kneeling formally in a low seat that had been placed on the rug. The Holy Sage, who had been attending the First Queen in the Mountain Palace, knelt behind Chagum directly upon the rug. 

    Chagum felt the Holy Sages gaze on his back more strongly than the gaze of the Mikado, who sat directly in his line of sight. Hibi Tonan was built like a warrior, not a Star Reader. He was a big man with broad shoulders. His eyebrows and facial hair were bleached white by the passage of time, but his eyes still shone with dignity and intelligence. He was aware of his power; hed held his position in the Star Palace for a long time. 

    Chagum knew that the Holy Sage had been complicit in his fathers assassination attempts last year. Hed also been involved with later efforts to save Chagums life.

    The Mikado spoke. "Chagum, it concerned me to hear that you would also not wake up. I am glad it was not serious."

    Chagum put both hands on his knees and bowed deeply before raising his head. "Father. I am sorry to have worried you."

    "Indeed." The Mikado paused. "Did you have something you wished to tell me?"

    His father's face was utterly expressionless as always, but Chagum detected a sliver of caution deep in his gaze as he looked into them. "Yes, of course. Father. Holy Sage. I thought that I should tell you the reason why I couldn't wake up, considering the possibility that this information may be of use in waking the First Queen."

    You must not declare that we can definitely save her, Chagum remembered Shuga saying. Our position would then be compromised, if she chose to stay in the dream.

    "I see. Very well. Speak, then."

    "Yes. Father, I had a very strange dream that night. It may just be because I was thinking about the Mountain Palace as I was falling asleep, but…" Chagum feigned uncertainty. "In the dream, there was a woman standing in pale blue light, beckoning to me. As I approached her, she said, I am Mikado Yamur's Second Queen.'"

     The Mikados forehead creased, but Chagum continued, paying this no heed. "I knew at the time that this was a dream, but it left a profound impression on me all the same."

    Chagum continued quickly. He didn't want to give anyone a chance to interrupt him. "The woman who claimed to be Mikado Yamur's Queen recounted to me a most strange tale, all the while warning me not to dismiss this as a mere dream. She also instructed me very clearly to convey her words to the Mikado. I will now convey them, to the best of my recollection."

    Chagum took a deep breath and straightened his back before speaking again. "I dreamed of a beautiful palace made of plain wood built on the shores of a blue lake. Unbeknownst to all, nobles lived there. The palace had prospered for more than a thousand years, but it was now in its twilight and would soon fall into disrepair and decline. Nobles from across those thousand years sang to me about the wishes and regrets of their lives, and of their hopes and dreams.

    "They said, ‘We transform into the Flower and live our dreams, until a wind from your world blows and we scatter. Please, build a palace on the shore of this lake and let our dreams come into full bloom. Do this, and we will welcome the soul of your son into our ranks.' 

    "It was after hearing this wish that Mikado Yamur had the Mountain Palace constructed. After her death, the Second Queens soul, along with the souls of all those other nobles, dreamed of their greatest desires in this mystical other world.

    Chagum cleared his throat. Then Mikado Yamurs Second Queen spoke to me again.  She said, Listen well, my grandson. The Flower's nature is to seduce. It shows sweet and beautiful dreams like no other to lonely souls. Even now, the First Queen who has lost her son is trapped in such a dream. The time for this Flower's petals to scatter has finally come. The coming night of the half moon will be a night of ruin. When a path opens between this world and yours, those residing within the palace risk being pulled into dreams of despair."

    Chagum paused again, then said, "Grandson, take care that none but the slumbering Queen remain within the Mountain Palace on that night. Guide those other sad souls who remain trapped in dreams back to your world, so that they are able to return to their bodies.

    Chagum took a deep breath. Hed gone through the whole story that he and Shuga had come up with in a rush. The Mikado had stared at Chagum the entire time.

    "I see. That was certainly a very strange dream. Whats more, you remembered it in its entirety? Can one truly recall a dream with such clarity?"

    Chagum hesitated. "That is precisely why I thought this to be more than a mere dream. It still echoes within me vividly, like a song that continues to play in my mind."

    The Mikado stilled completely, appearing somewhat irked at having his question so easily answered. "Hmm. So you wish to tell me that you believe this dream was real, and that you want to evacuate the Mountain Palace on the night of the next half moon for safety."

    Chagum averted his eyes. "That is so, father. I am aware that I may be ridiculed for believing in a dream and acting on it. But this concerns the First Queen. I thought that, with the consent of yourself and the Holy Sage, it could be done."

    Silence fell. The Mikado discreetly shifted his gaze to the Holy Sage.

    "Should we proceed, there would be no need to tell those involved the whole truth." The Holy Sage’s deep voice resonated from behind Chagum, sending prickles of unease up his spine. "If the Mikado orders it so, we could declare that the Mountain Palace needs to be purified. An evacuation would certainly be possible. I would take responsibility for the protection of the First Queen."

    The Mikado stood up. "You give the impression that you believe Chagum's dream."

    "A dream is only a dream. However, the First Queen is still asleep, and that the Crown Prince himself was in a similar state until yesterday. It is not unthinkable that the strange dream he had as he slept would have some kind of meaning."

    Chagum almost made the mistake of letting his relief show.

    The Holy Sage continued speaking in a lighter tone. "The suggestion that His Highness the Crown Prince should spend that night on the shores of the Mountain Palace’s lake is a bit more problematic."

    The Mikado nodded avidly. "Precisely. I will not let the Crown Prince take such a risk. Who knows what might happen?"

    Don’t panic, Chagum told himself. “Father, the dream…  the grief of those nobles…  Since I've been able to escape from the confines of that dream once already,  I would be able to act as a guide. I’m the only one who can. Please, father, allow me to see this dream through to the end."

    The Mikado's gaze sharpened. "If you possessed any self-awareness of your position as the Crown Prince, you would not ask such a thing."

    Chagum's heartbeat thundered in his ears. He was becoming desperate. He turned his face away. "I only became the Crown Prince because of my brother's untimely passing. Because the First Queen lost her son. I’m not used to it yet. But father, I was the only one who had this dream. Im sure that there must be a reason for that. Won't you let me do this, to show my sympathy for the First Queen’s loss? I think I’ll be able to come to terms with the fact that I am now the Crown Prince better after I understand her grief."

    Chagum paused, then added, "Since the Hunters are under your command, you could order Jin and the others to guard me. I will certainly not come to harm with them to protect me. I ask again, father: please."

    The Mikado frowned in the direction of the Holy Sage. The Holy Sage appeared vaguely amused. "It would seem that His Highness the Crown Prince has changed somewhat, as a result of this dream." To the Mikado, he said, "What are your thoughts on this change? I, for one, believe it is a change in the right direction."

    “Truly?” The Mikado’s gaze as it bored through Chagum was not at all paternal. Chagum had always hated that look on his father’s face. It used to make him physically ill, but now, the gulf between Chagum and his father was so great that he felt nothing at all.

    Chagum thought about the future, after he became Mikado. Would he ever look at his own son in that way? 

    "Very well, then. I understand your desire for some closure regarding your brother's death. It is also true that you have escaped that dream once already. I will give you the Hunters. Take this opportunity to try your hand at leading some men."

    Chagum put both his hands on his knees and bowed deeply.

 

***

 

    Shuga stared at Chagum in amazement after he heard what had transpired before the Mikado and the Holy Sage. "Your Highness! What did you… why did you add all of these details?"

    Chagum smiled a little. "Since it got us more than we wanted, it's fine, isn't it? I wanted to see everyone again, no matter what. That, and I want to see how this all works out for myself."

    Shuga cursed himself. He should have predicted that Chagum would try to twist their plans to his own advantage. It was part of Chagums character and strength of will.

    Shuga was still annoyed, but mostly at himself.

     "Your Highness. No one knows what will happen at the Mountain Palace. Balsa and the Hunters will be there of course, but what if even they cannot protect you?"

    Chagum shrugged. "If that happens…" He swallowed the remainder of his sentence when someone knocked at the door.

    "Hello? Is anyone there?" 

    Both Chagum and Shuga froze.

    "It is Hibi Tonan. Please excuse this sudden visit, but there is a matter I wanted to discuss with the Crown Prince."

    Chagum remembered to breathe, then said, "You may enter."

    The Holy Sage came alone, without even an attendant. He opened the door himself and entered the room. He bowed slightly and sat down in the chair indicated by the Crown Prince. He didn’t seem surprised that Shuga was already in the room.

    The Holy Sage faced Chagum and said without preamble, "Well then, Your Highness. I have come to inquire as to how much of the story you just told was true, and how much was made up."

    Chagum's expression went rigid for a moment, but he quickly composed himself. "What are you talking about? I said nothing but the truth."

    "Truly? Unfortunately, that is not what it sounded like to me. The order for Your Highness to act as a guide for the souls trapped in the dream was an obvious lie."

    The Holy Sage smiled. "It sounded like a detail added solely for Your Highness's own benefit."

    Chagum’s pulse quickened.

    The Holy Sage gazed at Chagum impassively.

    Caught out in his lie, Chagum took a shaky breath, then nodded. "I hate the fact that I have to live as the Crown Prince. If I had any say in the matter, I would have chosen to live my life as just Chagum. A commoner.

    The part about the Flower trapping people in a dream is true. It captures people who want to escape from their current lives, like me. The Flower lets you dream of things you want more than anything else. It's also true that the First Queen was captured by the Flower, but I have seen firsthand that she is but one of many."

    The Holy Sage’s calm gaze didn’t shift. When Chagum spoke again, there was a note of defiance in his voice.  "The Flower will scatter on the night of the half-moon. That’s also true. When it does, something strange will  happen at the Mountain Palace, but I don’t know what. That’s why I want to evacuate it, for safety." he sighed. “I made up my vision of Mikado Yamur’s Second Queen. The one who truly saved me from the dream and told me what was going on was Tanda."

    The Holy Sage raised an eyebrow. "Tanda?'

    "Yes. The apprentice of the magic weaver Torogai. The one who helped save me a year ago."

    This, too, was a lie. Chagum  had discovered just as much from Shuga as from Tanda, but this was Chagum’s way of making sure the Holy Sage didn’t find out that there was a connection between Shuga and Torogai.

    "You understand why I couldn't tell Father that, I’m sure," Chagum said.

    The Holy Sage sat up straight. "I see. What about you personally going to the lake that night, Your Highness?"

    "Tanda said that Master Torogai would be able to save the trapped souls with a technique called the Soul Call, if not for the fact that a spirit called the Flower’s Defender won't let her. The spirit will attack her on sight. That's why I wanted the Hunters, so that they can protect Master Torogai. I made up the part about me needing to be a guide."

    Chagum risked a brief glance at Shuga before returning his attention to the Holy Sage.

    “It is also true that I struggle with my own feelings of grief and loss. I am hoping that if I see what happens that night with my own eyes, my own soul will be eased.  I want to know whether the souls trapped in dreams will return or not. If they can’t return, there is no chance for their lives ever improving.”

    The Holy Sage remained silent for awhile, attention lingering on Chagum."There is not just one path open to you, Your Highness,” he said sharply, like the cut of steel sword. You are aware of this, I hope. The Mikado is still young. It is possible that he will have another son with a Queen in the future. Even if another son is not born, one of the princesses from Third Palace would suffice to carry on the Mikado’s bloodline.

    "However, the Crown Prince will become the Mikado. That is the role of every Crown Prince Nothing short of death by illness or accident could prevent this. It is common sense that a Crown Prince that doesn’t want to be the Mikado simply doesn’t exist.”

    Neither Chagum nor Shuga knew what to say to that. It seemed that Chagum had been a bit too honest, and that the Holy Sage understood just how much Chagum wanted to leave his palace life behind… and just how precarious his position at court truly was.

    "Even so,” the Holy Sage said, do you still wish to go to the lake that night?"

     "Yes. Because only death by illness or accident would await me otherwise."

    The Holy Sage smiled sadly. "I understand. Then we will leave the Mikado with the story he has already heard. Preparations to deploy the Hunters for Your Highness should begin shortly."

    The Holy Sage made to leave, but Shuga asked him to remain. "May I also be permitted to accompany His Highness tomorrow night?"

    The Holy Sage towered over Shuga. He nodded. "That will be fine. Protect him well."

    Chagum and Shuga sat in silence until the Holy Sage’s footsteps faded away. Then Shuga whispered, “Thank you, Your Highness, for keeping my secret. I will not forget it.” He smiled. “I will also be able to send Jin to Balsa’s aid, but…”

    “...but,” Chagum filled in, his face pale. “If I try to run away with Balsa, the Hunters' blades will  turn against me.” He smiled a little, cynical, then sighed. “Let’s hope this plan works out after all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment