Newest Chapters

      The Sorceress' Revolt    Dororo:The Child Wants to Live    Fire Hunter 1: Fire in Spring    Shijukara (Starting at 40)

Those Who Walk the Flame Road - Author's Afterword and Notes

  

Those Who Walk the Flame Road

(Book 12 of the Guardian of the Spirit Series)

Author: Uehashi Nahoko
Translator: Ainikki the Archivist
 
Author's Afterword and Notes

    Now that Those Who Walk the Flame Road is finally out, I like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The Flame Road is so long, as a story, that it’s practically a novel on its own. I thought of it well before Traveler of the Blue Road, which took a very long time to write. The Sacred Tree (my first novel) was being reprinted and I was doing book tours and interviews. People kept asking me when the next book would be coming out. I thought about the question, and The Flame Road is the result of that pondering. It came to me dimly, like the heat haze Hugo sees so often.

    As for why I would write this specific story at that time, it’s hard to say. Why not Traveler of the Blue Road first? I think that this story had to be written first, before I could even attempt Traveler of the Blue Road. I didn’t know who Hugo Arayutan was before I wrote it, or why his nation was destroyed by Talsh, or the reasons why his family were massacred. Through Hugo, I came to understand the southern continent and Talsh.

    I was also interested in Yogo, specifically in how it differed from New Yogo after a cultural separation of two centuries. Chagum gets to see Hoshiro in the distance in Traveler of the Blue Road, but he never gets to walk the streets there; he doesn’t know Yogo the same way Hugo does. I was eager to explore it myself.

    I think that part of the reason I found forward progress on Traveler of the Blue Road so difficult was that I came to understand Hugo, his captor and eventual ambivalent ally, more than I understood what Chagum was thinking and feeling. After I finished The Flame Road, returning to Chagums perspective was much easier.

    However, I knew from the outset that the characters from previous books in the series that people love--people like Balsa and Chagum--wouldnt be able to make an appearance in this story. And I do consider that an unfortunate lack. All I can say is that Hugos story had a bearing on the series past, and on how things end up in Guardian of Heaven and Earth. I like Hugo a lot, and I hope that others will, too.

    I didnt write the story when I was on my book tour, but a few days after I came home, I began work on it, and it flowed out very naturally. I can never say for certain what causes an idea to form and work well and what doesnt; the mind is a mysterious thing. I didnt want to publish a novella with so little basis in previous stories, so when a story of Balsas adolescence presented itself--one with many parallels to Hugos--I finally understood the structure of this particular book.

    I wasnt expecting Hugo and Balsa to have so many things in common. Adolescence is a turbulent time for most people, though, so perhaps it shouldnt have been a surprise.

    Both of these stories take place before the final volume of Guardian of Heaven and Earth. I sincerely hope they are enjoyable!

 

Uehashi Nahoko

October 12, 2005

Abiko


No comments:

Post a Comment