Newest Chapters

      The Sorceress' Revolt    Dororo:The Child Wants to Live    Fire Hunter 1: Fire in Spring    Shijukara (Starting at 40)

Dororo: A Novel - Part 2 - The Tale of Yarokamizu, the Water Demon - Chapter 3

Dororo: A Novel

Tsuji Masaki

 

Part Two: 

The Tale of Yarokamizu,

the Water Demon

 

Chapter 3

    You? Steal? My swords? How? Hyakkimaru was dumbstruck.

    Sure. Ill knock you out with a rock, then cut em right off! Im Dororo, the worlds greatest thief! Dyou think I cant manage to steal a sword arm or two?

    Give up, Hyakkimaru said. Its impossible.

    Impossible? Theres no such thing! You obviously have no idea who I am. Im Dororo, the worlds greatest--

    --Yes, yes, youve said that already. Dont say it again. You should get away from me, right now. And dont follow me. If you do, nothing but disaster will befall you.

    What? Why?

    I said it before, Hyakkimaru said wearily. Demons hunt me.

    Demons? Dororo sounded mightily interested. If he was a more ordinary boy, he might have scoffed and said, Stop making up stories! Everyone knows that demons arent real. Youre just saying that so I dont follow after you!

    But Dororo didnt. Hed just seen a demon with his own eyes, after all. The place where Hyakkimarus sword arm had cut through the boulder was obvious, and obviously abnormal. Dororo was usually a chatterbox, but Hyakkimarus otherworldly aura was making him much more reserved and serious than usual--not that Hyakkimaru had any way to know that.

    Why do the demons follow you? Dororo asked.

    I hunt them, just like they hunt me. Its what I do for work. 

    Why hunt them, then? If you stopped, would they leave you alone?

    Shut up, kid, Hyakkimaru said, sounding annoyed.

    Uh... I mean, why not tell me a little more about your work? Dororo asked. Theres no harm in that, is there?

    Dororo was as attached to Hyakkimaru--or at least his sword arms--as a live sharksucker was to a shark. He would not easily be dislodged.

    When Hyakkimaru said nothing, Dororo said, Cmon, youve gotta know that Im gonna stick with you no matter what you say. Stop trying to scare me and open up a little.

    Hyakkimaru finally lost his head. Go! Now!

    Go where? I dont got no home or inn room or nothin.

    Then go down a different road than the one I choose.

    Why? No one owns the road. Not even me, and Im the worlds greatest thief.

    Shut up! In the blink of an eye, Hyakkimaru removed one of his prosthetic arms, revealing a naked blade that he pointed straight at Dororos chest.

    Ah! Dororo gasped So this is what one of the swords looks like up close! Its fantastic! How sharp is it? 

    Hyakkimaru thought that Dororo would run away, but instead, he was practically drooling at the sight of Hyakkimarus sword arm.

    So how did you get swords in your arms, anyway? Dororo asked. I bet thats an interesting story.

    Hyakkimaru was silent.

    You wont tell me? Dororo pouted. Why not?

    Hyakkimaru sighed in defeat. He didnt want anything to do with Dororo. He hoped that by giving in, hed be able to convince Dororo to leave him alone. Fine. But Im only going to say it once, so youd better pay attention.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment