Newest Chapters

      The Sorceress' Revolt    Dororo:The Child Wants to Live    Fire Hunter 1: Fire in Spring    Shijukara (Starting at 40)

Guardian of Heaven and Earth - Rota - Excerpt of a Letter from Chagum to Shuga

  Guardian of Heaven and Earth

-

Rota

(Book 8 of the Guardian of the Spirit Series)

Author: Uehashi Nahoko
Translator: Ainikki the Archivist
 

 Excerpt of a Letter 

from Chagum to Shuga

    ...Maybe you wish I hadn’t chosen this path. You’ll probably think that it’s childish and hopeless--I can understand that. But Shuga, I’m an adult now, and I’m making the best choices I can. I’ve seen the vastness of the southern continent with my own eyes. Talsh is such a large and wealthy empire that I lack the words to adequately describe it. New Yogo might as well be a worm wriggling at the Talsh empire’s feet. Even if we all worked together in full cooperation, out nation would never be considered more than a pest to the Talsh.

    Shuga, I know that what I’m trying to do is foolish. I’m only doing it because I believe it will prevent the pointless deaths of innumerable innocent people. Second Prince Raul is arrogant and proud. He wished me to return home and capitulate to the Talsh empire in exchange for sparing my life and the lives of our people. I might have agreed to his terms if he would allow our people to live in peace and happiness, but that’s not the case, Shuga. If it were, I would never have thrown my dignity and possibly even my life away to save them.

    I know what kind of darkness we would fall into if Talsh took over. If New Yogo submits to Talsh rule, our people would be conscripted and sent to fight wars in Rota and Kanbal. They would order us to kill the people in other nations who have long been our friends. And they would do the same thing to Rota and Kanbal after they are conquered. Talsh thinks nothing of sending friends to kill friends or causing long alliances to break down. I don’t want our people to have to follow such terrible orders.

    I may have been born the son of the Mikado, but I’ve never wanted to rule. However, my place is such that I can’t simply stand by and watch our people be slaughtered, or forced to slaughter others. I’m going to do all I can to ensure that everyone is remains alive, safe, and free.

    It may be too much to ask, but I want you to have hope, Shuga. Even Talsh has its weak points. Prince Raul and his older brother Prince Hazar are often at odds and don’t agree on how to conquer the northern continent. Prince Hazar even tried to assassinate me. I think that their internal dissension could be exploited if we learned more about it. Talsh certainly isn’t impossible to defeat.

    The King of Rota is an honorable man. I am going to meet him and propose an alliance for the sake of the future peace and happiness for both our nations. I believe that I will be successful. My path is clear. I may not be able to see every step, but I know exactly where I’m going--and why.

    So have hope. I’ll be home someday.

--Chagum

--Chagum

2 comments:

  1. Off-topic, but I think Guardian of the Dream and Guardian of the God do the best job of replicating the atmosphere of the original Moribito novel.

    Guardian of the Darkness was a strange book for me to read. Apparently, there exist a race of elf-like beings and a race of dwarf-like beings which run amok through the mountains of Kanbal? I know the Water Dwellers are basically merpeople, but they look much more bestial (and I'm fairly certain they mostly live in Nayug) whereas the little creatures of Kanbal are basically miniature humans, at least, according to the manga.

    Speaking of which, don't some fiery beings antagonize Torogai in that anime episode where she got covered in mud? I think she called them the people of fire, and I know there were people of mud that were mentioned in the book, but do we ever learn anything about a fire spirit in Moribito?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Kanbal as a wildly different culture and expression of magic weaving, but I don't think Guardian of the Darkness has a wildly different tone or plot from the rest of the series... Balsa's still protecting children and doing what she does best, with the added element of a lot of her own backstory into the bargain.

      We do learn a lot more about fire spirits in Those Who Walk the Flame Road (Hugo's affinity is for fire in Nayugu). I think the anime wanted to tease that fire was the Rarunga's weakness in those scenes, since the novel doesn't include much of that.

      Delete